Don't let your Halloween Decor start a Fire
Stay safe this Halloween!
How to set up your decor safely
Children dressed in costumes excitedly running door to door to trick-or-treat, festive decorations like glowing jack-o-lanterns, paper ghosts and dried cornstalks adorning front porches – these are some of the classic hallmarks of Halloween that make the holiday special for kids and adults alike.
Unfortunately, these Halloween symbols and activities can also present lurking fire risks that have the potential to become truly scary. But by planning ahead, you can help make this Halloween a fire-safe one. Taking simple fire safety precautions like keeping decorations far away from open flames and using battery-operated candles or glow-sticks in jack-o-lanterns can help ensure your holiday remains festive and fun!
Did you know?
- From 2009-2013, decorations were the item first ignited in an estimated average of 860 reported home structure fires per year.
- Nearly half of decoration fires in homes occurred because the decorations were too close to a heat source.
- These fires caused an estimated average of one civilian death, 41 civilian injuries and $13 million in direct property damage per year.
- Forty-one percent of these incidents were started by candles; one-fifth began in the living room, family room, or den
So remember SAFETY FIRST!
Enjoy your Halloween and know your home will be protected!
Protect your business NOW!
The Emergency Ready Profile App
How SERVPRO CAN help protect your business
SERVPRO has this amazing program available to help in the event of an emergency. It's called the Emergency Ready Profile (ERP).
It is complimentary to set it up! Once scheduled, one of our staff will come and document information about your building including square footage, access points, contacts and all your shut offs (electric, gas, water etc). This will include instructions and pictures to help you and your employees handle emergencies more efficiently.
Hey, there's an APP for that
Not only will you receive your ERP in paper form to keep in your office, there is also a FREE app that you can download as well. Say what?? That's right! It's all FREE!!!
We do all the work and you enjoy all the benefits! Your app will have everything included, your business name, address, contact phone numbers, pictures and instructions.
All of your employees can download the app and access the business. That way if/when an emergency arises they can open the app and shut off what is needed as soon as possible. There is also icons at the top for Fire, Water, Mold & Other to get SERVPRO the info they need so they can be dispatched faster.
So what are you waiting for?? Call SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County to set up your Emergency Ready Profile today! 585-641-0040
Is Your Business in Trouble? No problem, SERVPRO Can handle it!
We are the Service Professionals. Ready to help YOUR business in even the BIGGEST jobs. Fire, water, mold, we can handle that!
When a fire happens it can definitely stop your business from making money. SERVPRO is available 24 hours a day - 7 days a week - 365 days a year. So when the fire happens, give us a call so we can get you up and running as fast as possible!
Whether it's a leaky pipe or it's like the flood gates opened and there is water everywhere, SERVPRO has got it covered! We have the highest quality equipment available so you can get everything up and running in no time!
Noticing a foul odor? Starting to see dark spots? Well you might have a mold problem. Don't fret, SERVPRO can help! We are the experts at mold remediation. Your business is safe with us!
SERVPRO of South East Monroe County strives for excellence!
We make the impossible, possible!
When you have a water damage, let the experts handle it!
At one time or another, as a homeowner or renter, we have all had a disaster. Sometimes it’s an easy clean-up and sometimes we know that we are in over our heads. Many times though, homeowners have a water damage and with a little elbow grease, a shop vac and some towels they try to mitigate the damage themselves. Unfortunately, some time later they end up calling the experts for more costly repairs due to damaged materials from improperly drying their home and even mold. Here are some facts about water damage.
- It is 1,200 times easier to remove water than to evaporate it? That’s why proper extraction of standing water is key to the dry out of a structure. Many times shop vacs are unable to do a sufficient job quick enough.
- Drywall exposed to water can wick up the wall at a rate of one inch per hour for the first 24 hours. If left for a few days while you are out of town it can wick all of the way up the wall to the seam at 4 ft.
- The insulation in your walls will wick water from the drywall as well. Without proper weep holes drilled to allow air flow you walls may seem dry, but you have insulation still festering with moisture and eventually mold. Insulation also loses its R-Value (its ability to insulate properly) when it is wet.
- Improperly dried drywall becomes brittle and weak causing it to break apart very easily. Interestingly it seem that drywall that is dried properly can actually become stronger which was discovered by water restoration companies that used what they call “flood rooms” for training. Each week the rooms are flooded and used for training proper dry out techniques. They found after about five “floods” the drywall had to be replaced because it would no longer allow water to wick up the walls.
- Mold will start growing immediately after spores are attached to an item and it has food and moisture. It can easily grow within 24 to 48 hours and will colonize in 1-12 days.
- Mold releases its spores when it is disturbed, so without proper removal you can spread it throughout your home trying to get rid of it.
These are just a few reasons you should entrust your water damage to the experts at SERVPRO of South East Monroe County and save yourself the time, money and sanity of having to restore your home more than once despite just one single water damage.
OH NO! Not Mold!
The word mold is scary enough, but then... you see it. Does it immediately send chills up your spine? Are you worried about what you can't see? Worried about what type it is? Can it make you sick? There are so many questions and it can be scary.
SERVPRO is professionally trained in mold remediation. We suggest mold testing before and after the remediation process to ensure the air quality is within normal limits. We are proud to say we have over a 99% passing rate.
Now, have you ever thought about how you can prevent mold in the first place?? Well, below is some tips to help.
1. Identify problem areas in your home and correct themyou can't mold-proof your home, but you can make it mold resistant. Check your home regularly. Look for condensation or other wet areas. You may have to end up pulling wet carpet or even repair gutters. Better to pay a little now than a lot later.
2. Dry wet areas immediatelymold cannot grow without moisture. Anything that gets wet should be dried within 24-48 hours.
3. Prevent moisture with proper ventilation check your ventilation systems. Are they working properly? Places like the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room are the high moisture areas.
4. Equip your home with mold-resistant productsif you're building a new home, or renovating, there are mold resistant products like drywall, Sheetrock, or even mold inhibitors for paint.
5. Monitor humidity indoorsthe EPA recommended indoor humidity is between 30 and 60 percent. You can measure the moisture by purchasing a moisture reader form the hardware store. Signs of high humidity is condensation. Be sure to pay attention to window seals, walls and pipes.
6. Direct water away from your home if the ground around your home isn't sufficiently sloped away from the foundation, water may collect there and seep into your crawlspace or basement.
SERVPRO is available to answer your questions. Give us a call and ask away!
Water Damaged Contents in Rochester NY
Water damage to your contents can occur when your Rochester home experiences a water damage event.
Water damage can occur in your home due to many issues; a roof leak, pipe break, dishwasher overflow, and more. We often think about our home as the walls, floors, and how those can be affected and damaged from water. But there's more to water damage than just the walls and floors.
One area that can be overlooked is contents such as your sentimental treasures, family heirlooms, or that special piece of autographed sports memorabilia you waited in line for hours to get signed. So when water pours through your ceiling, soaking your favorite chair, it can be really upsetting. SERVPRO® of South East Monroe County's team of trained professionals is able to clean and restore your contents to preloss condition, helping to make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO® of South East Monroe County is Here To Help® when disaster strikes your home. SERVPRO has been helping clients get through disasters since 1979. We are ready 24/7, 365, so call us at 585-641-0040 today!
Does your Rochester Home have a Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 585-641-0040
A Moment to Remember
In honor and memory of those who died on September 11, 2001, as well as the survivors and First Responders, National Day of Service and Rememberance was established in 2009 as a day of reflection. Led by the Corporation for National and Communtiy Service, this is a day to come together as Americans did following the events of 9/11 to help neighbors in need, and to honor veterans and First Responders in your community.
On this day and everyday, SERVPRO® of South East Monroe County salutes those heroes who arrive in the greatest times of need and stand strong in the face of disaster. These heroes are the First Responders who keep our communities safe in trying times.
Give back and make a difference in your community this year. To find a volunteer opportunity near you, or to register your National Day of Service and Rememberance event, visit nationalservice.gov/911day.
National Preparedness Month
National Preparedness Month is the perfect opportunity to share the benefits of having a readiness plan in place with your customers, business and family.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) will help ensure you and your business are “Ready for whatever happens.”
In the event of an emergency, the SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information, shut-off valve locations and priority areas. The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download SERVPRO’s free Ready Plan app to access this information at any time using your smartphone or tablet.
The ERP establishes your SERVPRO® of South East Monroe County as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to over 50 years experience and a System more than 1,700 Franchises strong. Knowing what to do and who to call in advance is key to quick response and timely mitigation. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive and get you back in the building following a disaster.
Preparation is the key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but now, you can plan for it.
The ERP is a no-cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save a lot of time in the future. Call your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional to establish your Emergency READY Profile®.
Facts about Flooding in the Rochester Area
Floods rank as one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Whether you live near a coastline, along city streets, in the mountains, near a river or even in the desert, there is a potential for suffering from flood damage.
Just because you haven't experienced a flood in the past, doesn’t mean you won't in the future. In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities. On average, floods cost $3 billion in annual losses in the United States. Commercial flood claims average more than $75,000.
According to the American Red Cross (ARC), floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year than any other weather-related disaster. The ARC offers the following flood safety tips.
- Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing scream where water is above your ankles, stop, rum around and go another Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about run ning water or contaminated water. Keep your pets out of the water too.
If a flood does strike your home or business, contact SERVPRO® of South East Monroe County. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly, and the cleanup is often an overwhelming task. The SERVPRO® System is prepared to handle any sized disaster. The sooner work begins, the sooner order can be restored.
When fire and water take control of your life, SERVPRO® of South East Monroe County will help you take it back.