Space Heater Safety Tips
9 Do's When it Comes to Space Heaters
1) Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from combustible materials, including beds, sofas, curtains, papers, clothes, etc.
2) Make sure the heaters power cord is not damaged or frayed in any way.
3) Make sure the heater is securely plugged into the power outlet. Ensure it does not come loose or fall out.
4) Ensure your heater is on a stable and level surface with minimal risk of it getting knocked over.
5) Make sure your space heater has been certified as safe to use. You should see a safety logo on the back somewhere.
6) Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
7) Ensure your unit is turned off when you go to sleep, in a different room, or unable to keep an eye on it.
8) It is wise to teach everyone in your household how to properly operate your heater.
9) If your space heater requires fuel, make sure you refill it with the right kind... or you will most likely cause a fire.
Soda Blasting, What's That?
I don't know about you, but the first thing I think about when someone says 'soda blasting' is a bunch of kids running around shaking up cans of soda and spraying them at each other. If you were thinking along the same lines as me, you will be surprised to find out that soda blasting is a very helpful way to clean a fire damaged house.
Soda blasting is a process in which sodium bicarbonate is applied against a surface using compressed air. Soda blasting is a non-destructive method for many applications in cleaning, paint & varnish stripping, automotive restoration, industrial equipment maintenance, rust removal, graffiti removal, oil removal, soot remediation and much more.
Fun Fact:An early use of soda blasting was to restore the Statue of Liberty in the 1980s!
We have used this method of cleaning in many homes in the Rochester area. So whether your Rochester business is vandalized by graffiti or if your home has experienced soot damage from a fire, call your restoration professionals at SERVPRO of SE Monroe County located in Rochester NY to come soda blast your problems
Fire Damage in Rochester
An unknown electrical issue caused the fire damage in this house in Rochester. The fire luckily happened while the homeowner was not home.
This photo was taken in the kitchen and although it looks as if the fire may have started here, it actually started in the family room next to the kitchen. The fire damage was so severe, there was very little able to be salvaged from the affected rooms in the home. The most salvageable items will be found in the basement , since smoke rises and the 2nd floor was heavily affected as well.
SERVPRO of South East Monroe County was called in to save everything we possibly could for this customer. And they were very happy to know there is a company like ours that can save some of her sentimental items and not all is lost in a disaster like this.
Call SERVPRO of South East Monroe County Today! (585) 641-0040
Faster To Any Water Damage Event
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County provide emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County arrive quickly and start the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –585-641-0040
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
When a Storm or Flood Hits Rochester, SERVPRO is Ready!
SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
We're Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
As a leader in storm and water damage restoration, SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County has the specialized training and expertise to restore your home back to its pre-storm condition. Our restoration process puts an emphasis on scientific drying techniques, progress monitoring and documentation.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Rochester, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 585-641-0040
Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 585-641-0040
Continuing Education Class 11/1/17
Our second continuing education class of the year was a huge success. The event was held at the City Grill in downtown Rochester, and was attended by 70 insurance agents. As always, Mike Necci (owner and licensed NYS instructor) gave a phenomenal presentation for both sessions of our class with amazing reviews once again.
Our first session (9am-12pm) featured the topic "Understanding Mold and the Remediation Process". After the first session, we served lunch and refreshments for all of our agents to enjoy. The second session (1pm-3pm) featured the topic "Hoarding Challenges", which was a huge hit with the agents. November 1st was a interesting and informative day for all, and we are looking forward to planning our continuing education class in the Spring.
For more information on our FREE Continuing Education Class Schedule, contact SERVPRO of South East Monroe County at (585) 641-0040
Fire Damage in Rochester NY
An unknown electrical issue caused the fire damage in this house in Rochester. The fire happened luckily while the homeowner was not home.
This photo is from the kitchen and although it looks as if the fire may have started in this room due to the damage, it actually started in the family room next to the kitchen. The fire damage is so severe, there is very little able to be salvaged from this home. The only salvageable items will be from the basement below, since smoke rises and the 2nd floor was heavily affected as well.
SERVPRO of South East Monroe County was called in to see if there is anything we could possibly salvage for this customer. And they were very happy to know there is a company like ours that can save some of her sentimental items and not all is lost.
Smoke and Soot Damage
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
FEMA Tips for Flood Preparation
Before the Flood:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drain of your home or business
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
During the Flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of water can make you fall.
After the Flood:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.