Fire Damage in Rochester NY
An unknown electrical issue caused the fire damage in this house in Rochester. The fire happened luckily while the homeowner was not home.
This photo is from the kitchen and although it looks as if the fire may have started in this room due to the damage, it actually started in the family room next to the kitchen. The fire damage is so severe, there is very little able to be salvaged from this home. The only salvageable items will be from the basement below, since smoke rises and the 2nd floor was heavily affected as well.
SERVPRO of South East Monroe County was called in to see if there is anything we could possibly salvage for this customer. And they were very happy to know there is a company like ours that can save some of her sentimental items and not all is lost.
Smoke and Soot Damage
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of South-East Monroe County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
FEMA Tips for Flood Preparation
Before the Flood:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drain of your home or business
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
During the Flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of water can make you fall.
After the Flood:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
Floods Strike Everywhere
On Average, floods coast $6 billion in annual losses in the United States. The following are a few more little-known facts:
- Floods kill an average of 140 people per year in the United States, making flooding the most deadly natural disaster.
- More than half of all fatalities during floods are auto related, often the result of drivers misjudging the depth of water on a road and being swept away in a swiftly moving current.
- The principle cause of floods in the eastern United States are hurricanes and storms.
- The principle cause of floods in the western United States are snow-melt and rainstorms.
- Underpasses can be some of the most dangerous places during a flash flood - especially at night, when it's difficult to see.
Call SERVPRO of South East Monroe County Today !! (585) 641-0040
Water Restoration Process
Within four hours of loss notification, SERVPRO of South East Monroe County will be on-site to help ensure a water damage is handled properly by completing the following steps:
Inspection: SERVPRO of South East Monroe County will inspect affected areas of your home to determine the extent of damage. We will also review the inspection with you and answer any questions you might have.
Emergency Services: Next, SERVPRO of South East Monroe County will take immediate steps to protect your home and personal belongings from further damage by extracting excess water and preparing your home for drying.
Monitoring: To ensure your home and personal belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, SERVPRO of South East Monroe County will monitor the drying process. Written monitoring reports will document the drying process. The results will be consistently communicated to you throughout the drying process.
Restoration Services: SERVPRO of South East Monroe County will repair structured materials, reinstall carpets and clean affected areas of your property and belongings. A final walk though of the job site will be conducted with you to ensure your property was returned to preloss condition when possible.
Call SERVPRO of South East Monroe County Today!! (585) 641-0040
What should I do if my home has water damage?
There are some simple steps you can take until help arrives:
- If the source of the water is still leaking, identify the source and stop it if you can.
- If the water is coming from a burst or leaking pipe, turn off the water at its source.
- If the water is coming through the roof or broken window, try to cover them to prevent further damage.
- Move wet items to drier areas.
- Place aluminum foil coasters or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Save damaged items and any parts you may need to replace - your claim representative may want to inspect them.
- Do not use electrical equipment or appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors.
- To document the damage, make a list of the temporary repairs you and take photographs.
- Make sure to save your receipts.
Call SERVPRO of South East Monroe County Today!! (585) 641-0040
Limited Fire Damage
Kitchen fires generally begin at the stove. However, damage caused by the fire may affect the entire kitchen, including the walls, ceiling, air ducts and appliances. Once the fire is out, you are left with smoke, soot and water damage to clean up. The damage to your home and personal belongings may be devastating. Handling the damage properly could prevent long-term effects.
After contacting SERVPRO of South East Monroe County, the following steps can be taken to help prevent further damage:
- Limit movement to prevent further damage.
- Place clean towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent additional soiling.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets and appliances with a light coating of petroleum jelly.
SERVPRO of South East Monroe County is trained in the line of cleanup and care of your home and personal belongings following a fire incident. Before attempting to clean up the fire damage yourself, contact SERVPRO of South East Monroe County today! (585) 641-0040
Commercial Duct Cleaning
Unlike the majority of duct cleaning services, SERVPRO of South East Monroe County uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
- The process begins by using patented equipment, including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts tot he duct's shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of particles in the air-stream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- As an optional process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
For more information on duct cleaning, or to schedule an appointment, contact SERVPRO of South East Monroe County Today! (585) 641-0040
Time Is A Precious Commodity
When you need it done right and done fast, call SERVPRO of South East Monroe County for all your commercial cleaning needs. Did you know when you hire SERVPRO of South East Monroe County for maintenance cleaning, you get around-the-clock restoration services built with you in mind? Quality cleaning and quick response - that's the SERVPRO way.
Can't figure out how to get the job done? Call SERVPRO of South East Monroe County for all your emergency restoration needs. Because when you experience a fire, water or mold damage in your facility, you need fast response and the expertise to get the job done right, ensuring your business can get back into operation as quickly as possible. Through it all, you expect the most reliable information and the very best service at a fair price.
SERVPRO of South East Monroe County is committed to providing fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce business interruptions and recover costs.
Be an Informed Resource
Molds are found in every environment, and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excess dampness indoors encourages the growth of molds and other organisms, causing a public health problem. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from molds are an important reason to prevent moisture problems leading to mold growth. It is especially important to clean up existing indoor mold growth to increase property appeal and retain its value. If a property has experienced a water intrusion, SERVPRO of South East Monroe County can inspect the damage to see whether moisture has penetrated materials or is allowing mold growth.
Control Moisture, Reduce Mold
- Correct any water leaks or standing water.
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units.
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used.
- Replace wet or visibly moldy insulation materials.
- Steam cleaning and other methods involving moisture should not be used on any kind of duct work.
- Install a ventilation system.